The thing your baby needs the most when they are teething is ….YOU.
Most babies will need lots of cuddles and reassurance from their loved ones when they feel unwell..
It can be a tough time for parents, so if you can, lean on friends and family for support.
If you don’t have anyone around to give you a break and are feeling frazzled – put your baby in a safe place like their cot and take a few minutes to calm yourself before going back to cuddling duties.
As well as a LOT of cuddling there are some other things that can help with teething pains and symptoms;
- Dry any dribble to avoid sore skin and rashes.
- Give teething rings/toys to chomp on.
- Chill teethers in the fridge (but do not freeze as this may damage gums).
- Distract with toys and play.
- Give baby paracetamol (if over 3 months) if they have a temperature or if they seem in a lot of pain.
- Massage their gums with a clean finger.
- Offer cool water to drink.
- If they are used to weaning foods offer cool fruits and vegetables or chunks of bread – with your close supervision.
- Keep assessing how they are – if they seem to be more unwell seek medical advice.
There is no evidence that teething gels and powders make a difference to teething pains. If you do decide to use them it is important you seek advice from your pharmacist for one that suits your baby’s age and size.
Adult oral gels can be harmful to babies.
In recent times the use of amber baby ‘jewellery’ has become more popular. There is no proof that using amber jewellery has any affect on teething pains and they are a choking and/or strangulation risk to your baby and should not be used.
Who Can Help?
You can contact the Healthy Child Programme by calling Just One Number on 0300 300 0123 or texting Parentline on 07520631590. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays) and 9am-1pm on Saturdays.
If you are 11-19 you can text ChatHealth on 07480635060 for confidential advice from one of our team.
To speak to other Norfolk parents and carers, you can join our online community forum. CLICK HERE