• Always choose a car seat that is right for your child’s height and weight
• Try a few in your car before making a decision. Seek advice from properly trained retail staff
• Make sure the car seat fits all the cars your child will travel in
• Try and avoid second hand seats as they could have been damaged in an accident, may be faulty, or may not have any instructions
• Only accept car seats from friends or family if you know the history, it’s not very old and it has the instructions
• Make sure it is EU approved with an ‘E’ mark label
• Remember to strap your baby into the car seat without their winter coat on. Cover them with a blanket if you are concerned about the temperature.
For safe travel on longer journeys The Lullaby Trust advises:
• Parents should avoid travelling for long distances with pre-term and very young babies in their car seat
• Take regular breaks on long journeys to give your child or baby the chance to change position
• If you are travelling alone, you could use a mirror to keep an eye on your baby
• If your baby changes position and slumps forward, stop the car and take the baby out of the car seat
• Take your baby out of the car seat when the journey has finished, even if they are asleep.
Who Can Help?
You can contact the Healthy Child Programme by calling Just One Number on 0300 300 0123 or texting Parentline on 07520631590. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays) and 9am-1pm on Saturdays.
Norfolk County Council offer a free child car seat checking service. For more information *Click Here*.