Stage 4- Practising Sounds In Single Words
- Turn taking games - Use games that you have at home (e.g. pop up pirate, monkey tree, snakes & ladders, jigsaws). Put a pile of pictures face down. Before having a turn in the game, pick a picture and say the word.
- Roll the dice - Roll a dice and repeat the word for the number of times shown on the dice.
- Lotto - Each person has a sheet of pictures. Have another set of pictures cut up and placed face down. Take turns to turn over a picture and say the word. Who can fill up their lotto board first?
- Fishing game - Use a magnetic fishing game. Stick a picture on each fish (with blu tac or a paperclip) and put them face down. If you catch a fish, say the word on it. If you say it accurately, you can keep the fish, if not the other person gets it (or it goes back into the sea/pond).
- Stepping stones - Make some stepping stones (you could use cushions, pieces of paper, hoops). Put a picture on each ‘stone’. Put some pictures of crocodiles randomly in between some of the stepping stones. Take turns to throw the dice and move along the ‘stones’. If you land on a stepping stone, say the word. If it is incorrect, have another try. If you land on a crocodile, move back 1 space.
- Kim’s game - Put some of pictures on the table. Your child looks at them for a while, and then closes/covers their eyes. Remove one (or more) picture. Ask your child to look again and guess which picture has gone.
- Posting boxes - Have a post box (you could make one from a cereal box). Say the word before posting the picture into the box.
- Run to the word - Put some of the pictures around the room. Your child runs/hops/walks/skips to the picture and says the word.
Who Can Help?
You can contact the Norfolk & Waveney Speech & Language Therapy Service by calling Just One Number on 0300 300 0123. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays) and 9am-1pm on Saturdays.
You can speak to other Norfolk parents and carers by clicking our online community forum below.