Stage 2- Practising Single Sounds
- Turn taking games - Use games that you have at home (e.g. pop up pirate, monkey tree, snakes & ladders, jigsaws). Have a pile of sound pictures face down. Before having a turn in the game, pick a sound picture and say the sound.
- Roll the dice - Roll a dice and repeat the sound for the number of times shown on the dice.
- Posting boxes - Have a post box (you could make one from a cereal box). Say the sound before posting the sound picture into the box.
- Run to the sound - Put the sound pictures around the room. Your child runs/hops/walks/skips to the picture and says the sound.
- Fishing game - use a magnetic fishing game. Stick a sound picture on each fish (with blu tac or a paperclip) and put them face down. If you catch a fish, say the sound on it. If you say it accurately, you can keep the fish, if not the other person gets it (or it goes back into the sea/pond).
- Cars - Put out some sound pictures. Roll a toy car to a picture and say the sound on the picture. You can also do this game with other toys (e.g. throwing a ball or beanbag).
- Towers - If you are practising more than one sound, put a brick/cube next to each sound. Put the other sound pictures in a pile. Take turns to pick a picture, say the sound and add a brick/cube to the right tower.
- Climb the ladder - Draw one ladder for each sound. Move a counter up the ladder each time the sound is produced
- Threading beads - If you are practising more than one sound, have a ‘snake’ for each sound, and a set of sound pictures. Take turns to turn over a picture, say the sound and thread the bead onto the right snake.
Who Can Help?
You can contact the Norfolk & Waveney Speech & Language Therapy Service by calling Just One Number on 0300 300 0123. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays) and 9am-1pm on Saturdays.
You can speak to other Norfolk parents and carers by clicking our online community forum below.