Things That Get In The Way
Sitting a lot or nowhere local to go?
- What can you do at home? Dance, walk, DVDs or garden games.
- Walk, bike or scooter to the shop, park or school.
- Break up the time you are sitting - set a timer on your phone and get some fresh air.
Not much money or feeling too busy?
- 5 - 10 minute bursts a few times a day soon add up.
- As you do more you will get more energy.
- Park a bit further away and walk some of the journey.
- Have a look on Active Norfolk for local activities.
Feeling too embarrassed?
- Will a friend come with you? Making a start is the more important thing.
- There will be others who feel the same as you.
- Make sure you choose clothes you feel comfortable in.
- You don't have to exercise at the busiest times or busiest places.
Healthy Snacks or hungry after school?
- Take a snack for on the way home or have healthy snacks ready and waiting. Try chopped up fruit and veg or homemade popcorn.
- Make sure they are not thirsty so offer a drink too.
Buying snacks at school?
- Talk to your child about making better choices – it doesn’t have to be perfect.
- If they take money in to buy snacks, do they need this everyday? Can you compromise on how which days they buy school snacks and which days they take home snacks.
Feeling too busy and eating takeaway?
- Plan ahead as much as you can - write a meal list and try and stick to it.
- Start by planning a couple of healthier days.
- Who else in your house could get involved with planning meals and snacks or cooking?
- Takeaways are fine once in a while but they are unhealthy to eat often. Remind yourself that by cooking you are saving money too.
No meal time routines?
- Get into the habit of regular mealtimes as a family so everyone knows when they will be eating.
- If you don't already, work towards eating together every day.
- Plan this together as a family.
Who Can Help?
If you are concerned about your child’s weight or eating habits and feel you need support, you can contact the Healthy Child Programme by calling Just One Number on 0300 300 0123 or texting Parentline on 07520 631590. Our opening hours are 8am-6pm Monday-Friday (excluding bank holidays) and 9am-1pm on Saturdays.
If you are 11-19 you can text ChatHealth on 07480635060 for confidential advice from one of our team.
Alternatively you can go to see your GP to discuss concerns.
CLICK HERE to speak to other Norfolk parents and carers, you can join our online community forum.