Society is much more tuned in to emotional wellbeing now. This is reflected in the much increased awareness of mental health and wellbeing.
Communication is the key to helping children and young person reflect on their thoughts and feelings. This can help staff assess their wellbeing and plan the best way to support them..
If you are concerned about a young person’s mood or behaviour decide who is best placed to talk to them– it may be they have a particularly positive relationship with some staff members.
• Use open questions (questions that don’t allow for just ‘yes / no’ answers
• Listen to their answers carefully and reflect back what you think they have said
• Use ‘feeling words; when you summarise what they have told you ‘It sounds to me like you are really sad your Gran is ill - and cross that your Mum won’t let you visit her’
• Think through some ‘actions’ they could try to help them feel better; ‘when you are feeling sad what do you think might help?’
• Make a plan with the child/ young person about what you will both do next
There are practical suggestions that can help with low mood;
• spend time with supportive family and friends
• get some exercise
• practice relaxation techniques
• eat regularly and healthily & keep hydrated
Establishing whether a child is struggling with low mood or depression is important and may not be immediately clear. Make plans to review how they are feeling. Help them to think where they might seek more support both in and out of school.
- Just One Norfolk has information for families about Low Mood.
- 'I had a black dog' video
- The Norfolk and Suffolk NHS Foundation Trust has an easy read information guide about depression
- PAPYRUS Prevention of Young Suicide provide a Stay Safe Plan template for use with children and young people.
- Norfolk Safeguarding Children's Board (NSCB) - What to do if you believe a child or young children might be at risk of suicide.
- Norfolk County Council Safety Plan
- Top tips for children for feeling good - age 5-11 years
- Top tips for children for feeling good - age 11-18 years
How Can We Help?
Just One Norfolk Access the health advice website to explore a variety of health issues. This website is consistently being reviewed and updated.
Parent Activation Measure This helps parents think about their knowledge skills and confidence in understanding and supporting their children or unborn babies.
Just One Number Call to speak to a health professional by phoning 0300 300 0123. They will be able to provide initial advice and support and guide next steps with us or signpost you to other more relevant agencies and professionals. It is available 08.00 to 18.00 Monday to Friday and 09.00 to 13.00 on Saturdays
ChatHealth Children and Young people can access us through our text messaging service on 07480635060. They will be able to discuss any health concerns with one of our Practitioners and also be able to request an appointment if they would prefer to meet with us.
Parent Line Parents can access our services by texting our number 07520631590 . This allows them to access the advice and support from a clinician about any health issues affecting their children aged 0-19.
JustOneNorfolk Health Passport app Young people age 16-19 can download this app on apple or android phones. It provides young people age 16-19 with general health information and advice to increase health literacy. It signposts to services and promotes self care. It aims to increase resilience and wellbeing and to find out how to access health services.
Health Unlocked Parents can be signposted to this. It is a carefully monitored online community forum which allows local parents and carers to talk with each other regarding issues affecting their children. This can be accessed through our Just One Norfolk website.
Solihull Parenting Online For our Norfolk parents there is the opportunity to access this free of charge through JustOneNorfolk. It supports parents in understanding their children from 0-19 via 4 modules.
Staff working with children and families will also benefit from this – or they can book to do the two day Solihull Training provided by our service by contacting email@example.com